Thursday, September 16, 2010

Anvil Floor Repair


I have been working in my forge for over a year now, so I've had enough time to see what works and what doesn't.  Most things work wonderfully, but I've had a bit of difficulty with the floor of the shed shaking when I use the anvil.  The floor was the wood floor that came with the shed and it was simply placed on a bed of gravel.  

Our friend, Steve was a huge help in building the base for the anvil (among lots of other things!) and he teased me about the problem-- "You mean, we went to all that trouble to build a solid stand and you put it on plywood?"  He had a point.

So, the boys and I and our good friend Brad went to work.  We cut out a section of the floor where the anvil rests and poured a new cement floor. 


The kids had a great time trying out various methods for mixing cement (they liked rolling the cement, but Jeff preferred the wheel barrow-mixing method) and got to put their footprints on the new floor. 

I haven't had a chance to do much smithing on the new base yet, but we think it'll work great!


No comments:

Post a Comment