Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Forge - Step 4

We're picking up steam here because I am scheduled to demonstrate blacksmithing at a colonial fair and marketplace on October 17-18th. That's not far away at all! So, we put together the forge this afternoon, with some help from my boys. I'll move it out to its proper place in the shed when it actually becomes operable after I get a propane tank.







We've also started to put together my colonial attire, which I need for my October demonstration. We picked up a shirt, stockings and workman's cap on our last visit to Williamsburg so I'm starting to even look like a 1770s blacksmith! I actually like the cap, which is quite a departure from my standard black ball cap. I'll order some breeches and figure out the shoes (from Fugawee) and I'll be all ready!




Now, what do the blacksmith's wife and kids wear? As one of our friends noted in a recent comment, we're all about doing things together as a family so you can be sure the whole team will be there supporting me! Besides, my wife says if she can figure out the kids' attire, we'll have their Halloween costumes all ready! The most important thing on the "to do" list is building the anvil stand, which I started on today. I made a bit of progress today, while the boys "worked" next to me in the basement shop. Anyone who knows us knows why I haven't been able to finish the stand yet. It's a bit challenging to build something this challenging and at the same time make sure the boys don't get injured! It is nice to have them close by, though, and I cherish the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment