Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Art Challenge Day 3: Soapmaking


For the past 2 years, I've made our own soap and it has become one of my favorite things to do.  it's a real labor of love, involving prime ingredients and 4-6 weeks of curing, just to get about 14 bars or so a batch.  But, it's worth it.


I just cut a new batch of soap (pink grapefruit and peppermint) into bars today after making it on Monday.  I use a basic recipe that contains some amazing ingredients (palm oil, cocoa butter, coconut oil, and olive oil) with various essential oils (and sometimes dried herbs like lavender or lemongrass, as well).  


I don't usually take photographs while I make soap because becoming distracted while using lye is NOT something one wants to do.  However, I took a few photos this time (although even then, not while I was working with the lye).  



Indeed, the greater challenge is putting my soap up on our Etsy site for sale!  It's on the list of things to do.  Meanwhile, if you are interested, just let me know.  I currently have lemon sage ginger soap, lavendin rosemary soap (with dried lavender), lemon rosemary soap, and a few bars of goat milk & honey (with oatmeal) available.  The American Horticultural Society's gift shop also sells my soap, and they have a different selection.





No comments:

Post a Comment