Thursday, October 4, 2012

Weeekend Visit to Monticello

 

Wanting to take advantage of a weekend without soccer (the boys are sitting out this season) and no blacksmithing demos, we took a road trip to Monticello this past Saturday. About an hour and a half into the drive, I was ready to turn around....what we were thinking sitting in the car for 5+ hours with a to-do list like nobody's business??? But, we hadn't been there in a few years and wanted a day of inspiration and renewal. Of course, I'm speaking for Jeff and myself and we hadn't asked the boys --- they had different goals.



All in all, though, it was a good trip. Monticello has expanded its offerings with a new Visitor's Center (which we had seen before) and a kids' Discovery Center (which we hadn't). The Discovery Center was great -- it was wonderful to actually try out Jefferson's cipher and his polygraph. I think Jeff and I enjoyed those things as much as the kids! The polygraph was certainly the highlight of the boys' trip.


I also made sure to visit the garden, albeit briefly, because I hadn't had much of a chance to take any nature photographs all summer and fall....and I needed to get my hands on a camera and take more than a snapshot of the kiddos, as much as I love the boys. Plus, my poor cookbook that I am slowly putting together needed some photos!


 
Jefferson was a remarkable person and it is something special to spend a few hours around his home...even with excited kids, a long list of things that need to be done, and a very long drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment